04 Dec Our Top 10 Grocery Store Grabs
What does your bag look like after a grocery store stock up trip? Here’s a list of ten go-to items to put on your shopping list to make sure you stick to your healthy eating plan:
1) Eggs: Hard boiled to grab on the run, scrambled with lots of veggies, or whisk 2 eggs in with a mashed ripe banana and cook for 3-4 minutes over medium heat for a protein packed power pancake (top with a little almond butter and sliced banana for a pre-workout snack).
2) The 3 C’s: Carrots, Celery, and Cucumbers. Slice some up right away and store in an air-tight container covered with water in the fridge for a few days and snack away!
4) Avocados: Grab 1 ripe and ready & a couple that need a few days to ripen so you’ll always have one ready to go.
5) Fresh Fruit: Bananas, berries, apples, oranges, melons, pears. Whatever is fresh and in season will be best! *Grab some frozen fruit (pineapple, berries, mango) for smoothies.
6) Protein: Fish, chicken, turkey, some lean meat on occasion. Go for organic if within budget.
7) Beans: Black beans, chickpeas, lentils are all great options to add into salads or soups.
8) Nuts & Seeds: Almonds, walnuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. Choose raw instead of roasted or salted!
9) Greek Yogurt: Plain is ideal as it is lowest in sugar (your choice on the fat content but it’s best to have more fat than sugar). Mix in some fresh fruit or drizzle with a little honey for a natural sweetener or add a scoop in to your green smoothie for some natural protein.
10) Green Tea: Sip on green tea (hot or chilled) with lemon through out the day.
By: Robyn Mitsch
Nutrition & Wellness Coach